Volume : 9, Issue : 1, JAN 2023
THE EFFECTS OF CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS AND PESTICIDES ON THE ENVIRONMENT AND HUMAN HEALTH
A surplus of agriculture is a vital factor that contributes to the development of a country's economy. It is also necessary to meet the increasing population's needs. The Green Revolution was created to meet these needs. The Green Revolution was able to help developing countries overcome their chronic food scarcity by increasing their agricultural production. This was done through the use of high-yielding seeds, the modification of farm equipment, and the use of chemical fertilizers. Although the use of certain agricultural practices allowed for the growth of food grains, they have also led to the development of harmful chemicals. This article talks about the effects of pesticides and chemical fertilizers on human health and the environment.
GREEN REVOLUTION, CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS, PESTICIDES, ENVIRONMENT, HUMAN HEALTH.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 13
Number of Downloads : 33
1. Abhilash, P.C. and Singh, N. 2008. Pesticide use and application: An Indian scenario. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 165: 1-12.
2. Agrawal, A., Pandey, R.S. and Sharma, B. 2010. Water pollution with special reference to pesticide contamination in India. Journal of Water Resource Protection. 2(5): 432–448.
3. Atafar, Z., Mesdaghinia, A., Nouri, J., Homaee, M., Yunesian, M., Ahmadimoghaddam, M. and Mahvi, A.H. 2010. Effect of fertilizer application on soil heavy metal concentration. Environment Monit Assess, 160(1-4): 83-89.
4. Choudhary, A., Ali, A.S. and Ali, S.A. 2014. Adverse Health Effects of Organophosphate Pesticides among Occupationally Exposed Farm Sprayers: A Case Study of Bhopal Madhya Pradesh, India. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(35): 29-34
5. Dasgupta, S., Meisner, C., Wheeler, D., Xuyen, K. and Lam, N.T. 2007. Pesticide Poisoning of farm workers- implications of blood test result from Vietnam. International Journal of Hygiene Environment Health, 210: 121-132.
6. Dubey, R.K. 2013.Organic farming beneficial to biodiversity conservation, rural livelihood and nutritional security. Indian Journal of Applied Research, 3: 18-21.
7. Kumar, S., Sharma, A.K., Rawat, S.S., Jain, D.K. and Ghosh, S. 2013. Use of pesticides in agriculture and livestock animals and its impact on environment of India. Asian Journal of Environmental Science. 8(1): 51-57.
8. Maurya, A.K. and Kumar, A. 2013.Organochlorine Pesticides in the Surface Waters from Sharda River Region, Uttar Pradesh-India. Advances in Space Research & Earth Exploration, 1(1): 1-7.
9. Miah, S.J., Hoque, A., Paul, A. and Rahman, A. 2014. Unsafe Use of Pesticide and Its Impact on Health of Farmers: A Case Study in Burichong Upazila, Bangladesh. Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology, 8(1): 57-67.
10. Natraj, V.M. and Katyal, D. 2014.Study of Fertilizer Effect on soil status in and around Loni, Maharashtra, India. Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 13: 188-192.
11. Rahman, K.M. and Debnath, S.C. 2015.Agrochemical use, environmental and health hazards in Bangladesh. International Research Journal of Interdisciplinary & Multidisciplinary Studies, 1: 75-79.
12. Sitaramaraju, S., Prasad, N.V.V.S.D., Chenga Reddy, V and Narayana, E. 2014. Impact of Pesticides Used for Crop Production on the Environment. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 3: 75-79.
13. Thuy, T.T. 2015. Effects of DDT on Environment and Human Health. Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 2: 108-114
14. Tomer, V., Sangha, J.K. and Ramya, H.G. 2015. Pesticide: An Appraisal on Human Health Implications. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section B: Biological Sciences, 85(2): 451-463.
15. Wimalawansa, S.A. and Wimalawansa, S.J. 2014. Impact of changing agricultural practices on human health: chronic kidney disease of multi-factorial origin in Sri Lanka. Wudpecker Journal of Agricultural Research, 3: 110-124.
16. Yargholi, B. and Azarneshan, S. 2014. Long-term effects of pesticides and chemical fertilizers usage on some soil properties and accumulation of heavy metals in the soil (case study of Moghan plain’s (Iran) irrigation and drainage network). International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences, 7(8): 518-523.